Pages

Projects

Archives

Archive for December, 2009

Now it looks like a truck!

Wednesday, December 30th, 2009

Here are some images from the side with every thing actually attached. You can’t see much detail but the profile is looking good!

The suspension is set up to handle up to 24 inch rims, now I can start drawing some custom wheels for this bad boy!

The Begining…

Thursday, December 24th, 2009

After finding this site routerBot, and a few other sites (to be posted as needed in the project). I decided that it would be a good device to allow me to connect to a micro controller and operate the hydraulics in my Ironhorse project, wirelessly…

It also helped that I had an old WAP54G V3 to play with

The routerBot code was designed for a WRT54G but I believe it can be made to work with the WAP54G, they have the same processor but the WAP54G has less memory to work with (considering it is just an Access Point and not an actual router…)

My goal is to have a device that is mounted in the truck semi-permanently, that my iPhone can connect to. The device have a built in web GUI so any time I connect with it with any device I can get the same interface to control the micro controller.

The Begining…

Tuesday, December 15th, 2009

I was with my father at the furniture store (looking for shelves), when I saw this desk. I liked it a lot but for the price tag of $1400 I was willing to live with out it. That is when my father suggested we build it…

My version will be tall enough to work from while standing and hopefully have a swivaling top that can be rotated and locked in position…

At the Body shop guys…

Monday, December 14th, 2009

The Gas pump has actually been at an auto shop for about three months. I wanted the front to look it’s best and while it’s there I figure it’s good to get a lot of the little things done as well

Whats being done:

  • The base is being hammered out level
  • all the unused screw wholes are being filled in
  • Gas hose and pump holes are being filled in
  • bottom plate wholes being covered
  • brass pipes being cleaned polished and sealed
  • actuators being added to lid
  • front door panel being cut out
  • back panel cable entry being made
  • front door hinge being fitted
  • primer and glossy clear coat applied

When it’s all said and done the body should be complete…

Back end almost done!

Saturday, December 12th, 2009

The back end of the truck now has a working tailgate and is now closed off the elements! It’s starting to look more like a real vehicle rather than a parts truck…

These are quick progress photos from a cell phone taken while they were working on it, and as you can see, there is a guy working on it int the back of the last picture. Proff that they are still working on it…

Software fix… Part One

Friday, December 11th, 2009

I have finaly figured out why I have been having problems with the OS locking up. It was the driver for the touch screen it was using a generic driver that was made by linux users. The driver that originaly came with the touch screen would never install so I just threw it away because I figured the linux community version would be better any way.

In order for the driver to install it needed to modify a file called xorg.conf. However in Ubuntu (and other newer distrobutions of linux), xorg has grown sophisticated enough to auto detect the settings provided by xorg.conf, so they removed it by default…

xorg is setup to use xorg.conf if it is present, so all I had to do was generate one (which can be done in GRUB), and then the touch screen driver can install!

Next I need to find a way to get samba to start automatically.

Basic fit

Monday, December 7th, 2009

Ok, Here is the initial lay out of the components (to make sure every thing fits). as you can see I have a card reader, the chip in the middle is the 64 Gigabyte SSD, and the last chip a USB hub/broken touch screen controller. the USB hub is about the same size as a gumstix computer so it will allow me to finish the basic mock-up of the device.

Software…

Monday, December 7th, 2009

To recap what I briefly touched on in the description of the project.

OS: Ubuntu 9.10

  • Samba print and file share
  • Gourmet recipe database

This works most of the time however there is a problem with the OS locking up (but the lock up does not effect Deamon services like samba fortunately), I believe it has to do with the latest version of the intel graphics drivers, I am going to try to revert them to an older version

The Begining

Tuesday, December 1st, 2009

I had the idea for combining an SD card reader and an extra SSD (64 GB) into one external hard drive container.

As I was working on it, it occurred to me that I could try to find a way to copy the SD data with out the need of a computer, that way I can put card after card into the device, accumulating the data, then transfer them or delete them at will.

I will be using a Gumstix computer and some python scripting to make the system work

More to follow…

Smoothing out

Tuesday, December 1st, 2009

All the components now fit inside the tablet! The green stuff is actually called “Green Stuff,” it is made for modelers joint plastic or metal pieces together. It is very sticky when activated and very strong. Despite appearances, the case on the tablet can come apart. I used parts from the original keyboard mount to hold the top portion in place, so the tablet can in fact be unscrewed and opened like the original.

I had to remove the camera (it wasn’t going to be used any way), and I need to seal up the whole on the side, but it works, touch screen and all! Next up software…